When hosting a blood drive, there are requirements that should be kept in mind to ensure that the drive is not only a success, but also runs smoothly. From the necessary bus space to outlet specifications inside the blood drive location, this list is designed to aid you through the entire process.
There are special considerations for Mobile Drives and other considerations for designated drive locations such as high school gyms, empty mall store-fronts, etc.
The Mobile Drive:
The Carter BloodCare Bus is a fully functional blood donation facility. Inside the bus you will find private interview booths, donation beds, an area for refreshments and all the necessary medical equipment to collect blood donations safely. Special space and area considerations for the bus include:
- Bus Dimensions – 40 feet long, 12 feet high, 8 feet wide
- Restrooms within 100 yards (300 feet) with hot and cold running water
- Please note staff travels with the bus and usually arrive one hour prior to event start time. If the bus needs to be parked before the event please specify arrival time.
As stated earlier, high school gyms, empty mall storefronts or similar areas with access to electrical outlets are prime location for hosting a blood drive. Things to consider when booking an indoor blood drive:
- Three prong outlets with unshared circuits.
- Room temperature between 67 and 74 degrees Fahrenheit
- Rest rooms within 100 yards (300 feet) with hot and cold running water
- Appropriate lighting
- Visual/auditory privacy available
- Minimum space for six, 8 foot tables. Please note space requirements vary depending on the size of the blood drive. If tables and chairs are not available, renting will have to be evaluated.
Be sure to follow these guidelines when planning or hosting a blood drive! A comfortable, safe environment for those donating and working will ensure a successful drive! If you are interested in planning a blood drive with Carter BloodCare, we would be happy to assist you!